Living with missing teeth is not easy. Not only does it make you conscious about your smile, but it affects your tooth functionality as you cannot chew food properly. Some people even fail to talk properly when they do not have missing teeth in their jaw. For many people, the only solution to missing teeth was dentures until dental implants came to light.
Dental implants are a modern and more comfortable solution to your missing teeth. They are artificial tooth roots that we attach to your jawbone and are made using titanium studs. Once they integrate perfectly into your jawbone, they constitute a strong foundation for your artificial teeth (crowns). The entire restoration is permanent, offering you the best aesthetic appearance and improved tooth functionality.
What are the Benefits of Implants?
- Dental implants are similar to your natural teeth. They are a fantastic way to restore your natural chewing ability. It becomes difficult to determine the difference between your artificial and natural teeth.
- Implants are not a temporary treatment for missing teeth. Once the restoration is complete, they last a lifetime.
- The use of titanium for dental implants is not rejected by your body. It is because the material is biocompatible and non-toxic.
- Apart from treating the problem of missing teeth, dental implants also help prevent bone loss.
How are Implants Inserted?
- The procedure begins by conducting your dental examination. We may check your mouth visually and conduct necessary X-rays to determine if you are a candidate for the treatment. If you do not have sufficient jawbone, we will perform a bone grafting surgery before placing the implant. We will treat any other dental problem that you may be experiencing.
- A titanium stud will be placed into your jawbone at the site of the empty teeth sockets. We will allow some healing time so that the stud fuses to the bone completely. The healing time is called osseointegration.
- After the stud integrates well to the jawbone, we will connect the abutment to the implant. It is a minor surgery and doesn’t demand a lot of time to heal. We will give you a two-week break before attaching artificial teeth. We will also take impressions of your teeth to create a dental crown that fits you snugly and matches the appearance of your remaining teeth.
- On the next and final appointment, we will attach crowns to the abutment. The artificial teeth look and function like your natural teeth.
To find out more about the dental services offered at Orange Family Dental, call (619) 280-4861 or schedule an online consultation. You can also visit Dentist in San Diego, CA at 4205 Fairmount Avenue, San Diego, CA 92105.